October 5, 2012

The Future of Books?

The author of Not Only a Father, Tim Bulkeley, has done something unique with his new book (link at bottom). He has made it available online, the whole thing, start to finish, and even made it possible to converse with readers through commenting on each section of the book, to give him (and other readers/commenters) more of an understanding of the thoughts of his readers. I think this is a great idea. I'm interested in seeing how it goes.

You can make your own notes, like the ones you scribble in the narrow margins of your own books at home, but for all to see. It's like a bunch of people all reading the same book, at the same time.

It seems this would give authors broad access to thoughts, ideas and feedback of readers, academic and lay, quickly and on a grander scale, something (most) authors, I'm assuming, would want and learn from. Hopefully I'll be able to join in the "pages" and unfolding discussion.

And I admit I stole the "future of books" bit from a smart man/teacher/blogger I like named James McGrath.

Click here to see!